Originally built in 1818, the mill in the Village of Waterford was a hub of activity in the community. It was in use under multiple owners until it was bought by the Waterford Foundation in 1944. Restoration of the mill had been considered several times, but its many issues and the costs delayed progress. In 2022, Carpenter Beach began the interior restoration, starting with the hurst frame, which supports the milling equipment and is separate from the structure of the mill building itself, new windows, roof repairs, and masonry.
With an emphasis on historically accurate building, Carpenter Beach used hand-hewn techniques that mimicked those used in the mill’s original construction. We leaned into our knowledge of woodworking and Local Wood sources for this project, helping bring the mill back to its former glory for future generations.